Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Homemade Flour Tortillas

We eat a lot of Mexican inspired food in our house. This means our weekly grocery list always includes tortillas of varying sizes. Until recently, I had never thought to try my hand at making my own.

Spa morning with Maid of Honor, Abby, on wedding day.

The Man and I have a wonderful set of couple friends whom we cherish. They have known us since we first started dating and both of them are easily some of the most marvelous people I have ever met. Over our wedding weekend, my creative and talented friend Abby was talking about her Homemade Flour Tortillas. She mentioned how easy they were to make and how much better they tasted than the store bought kind. Abby does a lot of "from scratch" cooking and knows good food; therefore, hers is an opinion I hold quite dearly. The idea of homemade tortillas has been on my mind a lot and after the convincing praise of her husband, I decided to give it a try.

For this recipe, you'll need:
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup warm water

Combine flour, salt, and baking powder.


Add oil and water with the mixer running. Use a paddle attachment and mix until just combined.


Form into balls and flatten with your hand on a well-floured work space.


Depending on the size of the tortillas, this recipe will produce between 15 and 20.


Cover with a towel for 15 minutes.


Uncover dough. Tortillas can be flattened with a rolling pin or a tortilla press. Tortilla presses are inexpensive and will give the dough a perfectly round shape. Since I do not own a tortilla press, I rolled mine with a rolling pin.


Place a large skillet on medium heat. Allow pan to get very hot (about 5 minutes). Lay one tortilla in the center of the pan.


Cook about one minute. Tortilla will begin to bubble.


Flip and cook another 30 seconds. Tortilla should show brown spots. If tortilla is not "browning", raise the heat. If the tortilla appears to be burning, lower the heat.


Stack on a plate. Tortillas will keep about a week.


The Man and the Brother loved the homemade tortillas. The Brother said it reminded him of his time in Manhattan, because all of the Mexican restaurants make their own. Since the tortillas were very simple to make, I will definitely be purchasing a tortilla press and making this a weekly effort. Readers, its time to get pressing. Check back tomorrow for Fish Tacos with Lime Sour Cream.


Ps. During the tortilla making, my "helper" knocked over the jar of flour with her cone. We had a huge mess and a lot of laughs. How could I be mad at this face?